01 May 2011

Blast from the Past: Escaped or Captured?

Just thought I'd share with you this image taken from the time before I had the nerve to call myself a photographer... A blast from the past, if you will.

Nikon FM3A, Kodak 400TX B&W negative film, Toledo 2006_R1: Frame#14

Escape, Capture. Those are the two words that pop to mind when I look at this photograph. And both words are apt descriptions, depending on one’s interpretation. This was taken in Toledo in 2006 in one of those narrow alleys snaking throughout the city proper. I liked the pattern on the ground but I needed something else in the frame to make it look more interesting. In my head I knew exactly the image I wanted. The question was, would I be able to execute it properly? Man and child came into view. I knew it was going to be a one-frame chance to do it, maybe two at the most (turned out to be only one frame... my camera was the type that not only had to be advanced manually but had to be focused manually as well, and let me tell you, manual focus can be a 'b-i-t-c-h' sometimes). The man, seeing that I was trying to take a photo probably thought that he was in my way, so he hurried his pace to get out of the way. Unbeknownst to him though, my idea was to "place" him and the child exactly where they ended up in my frame. Of course, I didn’t know if my plan had worked until I developed the film. And holy macaroons, it did! Let’s just say that there was a little bit of my version of Larry and Balki’s The Dance of Joy in the darkroom… Thankfully I was alone at that time, HA! ;-P

So, what do you think? Which do you prefer – the notion that they were “escaping” or the idea that they were “captured”? While my intent was the latter, I think at the end of the day, it was both.

Well, I hope you liked this little Blast From The Past! Maybe I will come up with more... In the meantime, Happy Sunday to all!


No comments: